If you’re on the market looking for a new furnace, you’ve probably come across the term AFUE. Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) is an abbreviation for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. The annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) of a gas furnace is a measure of its efficiency in converting fuel to energy. The higher the AFUE rating, the more energy efficient the system. Many homeowners are confused about what the AFUE rating means, what they should look for in a new heating system, and how this value compares to others.
What is AFUE?
The AFUE rating of a furnace measures its gas efficiency over the course of a heating season. The AFUE, which is represented as a percentage, reveals the precise quantity of heat generated for each fuel dollar used; the greater the percentage, the more efficient the heating unit.
A furnace with a 90 percent AFUE, for example, indicates that throughout the course of the winter, 90 percent of the fuel utilized was turned into heat and just 10% was lost. Older furnaces have an average AFUE of 60%, but contemporary, high-efficiency furnaces can have an AFUE close to 99%.
As an example, take a furnace with a 98% rating. In this scenario, a 95 percent rating means that 95 percent of the gas used by the furnace is converted to heat, while the remaining 5% is lost in the exhaust.
Or, to put it another perspective, for every $1 spent on heating in your house, 95 cents are used to heat your home, while the remaining 5 cents are wasted.
What is the Best for your home?
The higher the AFUE, the more money you’ll save on heating expenses each month. You’ll save even more money each month as gas prices rise. For these reasons, you’ll want to invest in the most energy-efficient heating system you can afford.
A new high-efficiency furnace will be more reliable than an older model, in addition to saving money each month. New furnaces normally come with a 10-year parts guarantee, but older units have a 5-year parts warranty. This will provide you piece of mind knowing that if your furnace requires a replacement part, the part will be free of charge for the first ten years. You may also add an extended labour warranty to your new furnace to provide complete coverage for both parts and labour.
Your AFUE allows you to compare the efficiency of several furnace types, guiding you in making the best decision for your home. However keep in mind that the AFUE rating is only one component of the equation. You must also assess that you have the proper furnace size. We want to make this process as simple as possible for you, and help to calculate the correct size for your new system.
At NOVELCARE, we only offer high efficiency furnaces and the best service. We have a number of different models to fit most budgets and you can use a sizing chart to ensure that the right equipment is used in your home.