Buy ENERGY STAR® to Save Money!
Cut your electrical heating bill by 60%, depending on your climate, and cool for 30% less with an ENERGY STAR certified ductless heating and cooling system. Ductless heat pumps that have earned the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient designation are the best of the best – they’ll save you more energy than standard models. Ductless heat pumps are easy to install, avoiding bulky ductwork in your home or building. They can also have a big impact on your comfort while helping you save money.
- Cut your heating costs in half! Because heat pumps transfer heat instead of generating heat, ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini-split heat pumps use 60% less energy than standard homes with conventional electric resistance-based heating systems
- Cut cooling costs by 30% compared to conventional room air conditioners – ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini-split heat pumps used advanced technology compressors and fans that can adjust speeds to save energy
- Different climates in each room – each indoor unit can provide custom heating and cooling – adjustable through wall consoles, remote controls, and smartphone apps
- No bulky ductwork! Inside units attached to your wall connect to an outside unit using small refrigerant lines (see figure below)
Consider upgrading to ductless mini-split heat pumps in these situations:
- In homes with costly electric heat and cooling (e.g. baseboard; electric radiant, furnace)
- Older homes with no ductwork
- Homes with expensive central heating due to high fuel costs
- You have rooms that are not regularly occupied
- Spaces next to unconditioned spaces where ductwork would be exposed (e.g. above a garage)
- Additions or outbuildings where extending ductwork is not feasible (e.g. shed, barn, garage)
Ductless Heating and Cooling Installation
These wall-mounted heating and cooling units are air-source heat pumps, which draw heat from the outside air during cold weather and push heat outside during the summer cooling season.
An indoor unit connects to an outdoor unit using small refrigerant lines. Only a three-inch hole in an outdoor wall is needed for installation. Up to 8 indoor units can be attached to one outdoor unit.
What’s In a Label?
Air-source heat pumps in Canada can have two labels:
The ENERGY STAR symbol means the model is highly energy efficient.
The voluntary EnerGuide label shows the model”s Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) or cooling efficiency and how it compares to similar models.
Ductless Heating and Cooling: What’s Coming?
Some people wonder whether heat pumps work in colder climates. As temperatures drop, the heat pump has to work harder and harder to extract heat from air outside. Some heat pumps now use advanced compressors and refrigerants that allow for improved low-temperature performance. If this is a concern, look for ENERGY STAR models with a Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) of over 12.0 BTU/Wh4.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Ductless Heating and Cooling Regulations Set the Energy Efficiency Minimum
Air-source, ground-source and water-source heat pumps are subject to Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
Give us a call for more information about ductless heating and cooling and how it’s a great option for any home: 416-921-0000.