Wouldn’t it be nice if all of our appliances lasted forever and worked perfectly all the time. We would save so much money and time fixing them. Unfortunately, this will never happen as all appliances are machines. Over time all machines break down, it’s that simple. Air conditioners are no different, which is why from time to time we experience air conditioner problems. Fortunately, some of our air conditioner problems are easy to understand, identify and even fix.
5 Common Air Conditioner Problems
- Cleanliness: It’s been a long time since you cleaned your air conditioner and now something is wrong with it. Air conditioning units needs to be cleaned fairly regularly, especially since they sit outside and are privy to all nature has to throw at them. Filters should be replaced regularly, evaporator and condenser coils should be cleaned at least once a year, and wiping down your air conditioner components is also helpful to maintain efficiency.
- Leaking Refrigerant: Refrigerant is the fluid inside your air conditioner that keeps things cold. If you find that you’re constantly adjusting the temperature slightly colder, there’s a good chance you have a leak. Refrigerant isn’t the safest liquid on the planet, so it’s probably best to call a professional HVAC technician from a company like Novel Care to take care of fixing it.
- Poor Drainage: Drainage issues are quite often the result of loose pipe connections or clogs. These clogs can result in water backing up into your unit and your house, which can cause expensive water damage if it’s not noticed quickly.
- Worn Out Controls or Sensors: Just like other electronics that get used all the time, these components can wear out and need replacing. Corrosion at terminals and on wires can cause issues for your system, so be sure to point out anything you see during service calls.
- Flipping A Switch: Lots of air conditioners have an option where the unit is connected to and indoor wall switch, for safety and ease of use. As the homeowner you know what that switch does, but not all of the visitors to your home know. This switch could have been accidentally flipped and turned your unit off.
Novel Care has been serving Toronto, York Region and the rest of the GTA for over 30 years.